Friday, July 5, 2013

Know your personality type before it's too late.

Author: Rajesh Patil (MBTI Certified , PMI-ACP, CSM, CSPO, MS in Engineering Management and Leadership)
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/pmrajpatil
Email: pmrajpatil@gmail.com


This time I just wanted to write something different, and picked my other favorite topic "Personality Type".

I am an MBTI Certified Professional, MBTI assessment is used for many purposes including personality development, improving communications, team building, team assessment, increasing team effectiveness, increasing productivity, conflict management , stress management , relationship management etc.

It's one of the most reliable and most trusted personality assessment tool that's available in the market.

If you are interested to know your personality type or you would like to use MBTI in your organization, please contact me at pmrajpatil@gmail.com for further details.


MBTI assessment positively impacted me both in personal and professional life. I am yet to explore more on my professional side but I have a personal story.

In 2003, I was newly married and it was an arranged marriage like many other Indians. I and my wife barely knew each other, but had many expectations from each other and were waiting to see our expectations fulfilled without demanding.

We had many assumptions that were not shared between us due to the fact that we were two strangers coming together and life moved-on figuring out how we can make each other's life better without clearly knowing what the other person is expecting.

As time goes by differences in our personality started to show-up, we knew we are different , we think differently and the arguments we had were related to our differences.

Simple example of "Fixing a new furniture" , I would open the box, figure out the wooden pieces and use the manual as needed, but my wife would read the manual first and follow the instructions step-by-step and later attempt to fix the furniture.

Since, I was already involved in MBTI in a different way and had some prior knowledge about the assessment , I took the assessment myself and also asked my wife to take it to know our personalities.

The results showed it all, I was an ENFP and she was an ISTJ . When we generated a team report for us our graphs were completely opposite and this moment was an eye opening moment for both of us.

We started to talk about why we behaved in a certain way while discussing a certain topic and started to relate our arguments and behavior to our personality type.

This experience changed our life, we came to know why we are different, how we are different and why we cannot change each other overnight.

I was so impressed by the tool that I took my MBTI certification training from American Management Association and passed my certification and became eligible to assess the toll for others.

It's been 10 year now , we now live with two beautiful kids a boy and a girl; we still continue to disagree on many things and argue on many topics but we are aware that we have to deal with each other in a different way and accept the fact that we have different personalities. We should make our differences our strength to lead a happy family life.


About MBTI Assessment:
The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator® (MBTI®) assessment is the best-known and most trusted personality assessment tool available today. As many as 1.5 million assessments are administered annually to individuals, including to employees of most Fortune 500 companies.
The Myers-Briggs® assessment has its roots in Carl Jung’s theory of psychological type. Katharine Briggs and her daughter, Isabel Briggs Myers, developed Jung’s theory and the first forms of the instrument, sharing a vision “to enable individuals to grow through an understanding and appreciation of individual differences in healthy personality and to enhance harmony and productivity among diverse groups.”

In developing their assessment, Briggs and Myers sought to sort personality preferences using the three dichotomies explicitly described in Jung’s writing, along with a fourth dichotomy made explicit by Briggs and Myers. These four dichotomies are


  • Extraversion (E) and Introversion (I): differentiating people who direct their energy primarily outward toward other people and events from people who direct their energy primarily inward toward their inner environment, thoughts, and experiences
  • Sensing (S) and Intuition (N): differentiating people who take in information primarily through the five senses and immediate experience from people who take in information primarily through hunches and impressions and are more interested in future possibilities
  • Thinking (T) and Feeling (F): differentiating people who make decisions primarily based on logic and objectivity from people who make decisions primarily based on personal values and the effects their decisions will have on others
  • Judging (J) and Perceiving (P): differentiating people who prefer structure, plans, and achieving closure quickly from those who prefer flexibility, spontaneity, and keeping their options open

Disclaimer: My blog is my personal opinion and not connected to my employer or employees. Everything I write is wholly my personal experience and opinion that's not been validated or certified by anybody.
If you have concerns or questions regarding this article, please contact Rajesh Patil at pmrajpatil@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment